Look around and you will see them. The drowned, the sick, the slain. Here they lie, rotting in the field and river of Hel. But the dead don't always lie still here. This is not a place of rest.
Sieh dich um und sieh sie dir an. Die Ertrunkenen, die Kranken, die Gefallenen. Hier liegen sie, verrotten auf den Feldern und im Flusse Hel. Aber die Toten liegen hier nicht immer still. Dies ist kein Ort der Ruhe.
What is she thinking? I can tell you. She is afraid. Wouldn't you be? You'd think she would get used to it by now after so many years. But the darkness it just builds onto itself, growing stronger, towering over her. You might try and ignore it, turn away, but it's always there just out of sight, where you are most vulnerable. It's like it knows that just enough light is all you need to see it's suffocating power.
Woran denkt sie? Ich sage es dir. Sie hat Angst. Würdest du nicht? Man sollte meinen, dass sie sich nach so vielen Jahren schon daran gewöhnt hat. Aber die Dunkelheit, die auf sich selbst aufbaut, wird immer stärker und thront über ihr. Man kann versuchen, sie zu ignorieren, sich abzuwenden, aber sie ist immer da, außerhalb des Blickfeldes, dort, wo man am verwundbarsten ist. Es ist, als wüsste sie, dass man nur genug Licht braucht, um ihre erstickende Kraft wahrzunehmen.
- You might think she’s brave to go on this journey on her own. But it isn’t bravery that drives her. Bravery only means something to those afraid of death. Senua’s fear runs far, far deeper.
- She pushes away a world that conspired to cause so much suffering. There is nothing to go back to and worse to look forward to.
- The darkness does not bargain. It does not reason. It is rot. And now it has taken hold, it will spread towards her head, the seat of the soul, until there is nothing left of her. All of her suffering will have been for nothing. It’s just a matter of time.
- The hardest battles are fought in the mind.
- Have you died before? It’s a serious question. When the illusion of self is shattered, you simply cease to be. Though it may not seem that way to others, you know when it is true. You can feel it, a stranger in your own body, an imposter and nothing is the same ever again.
- It’s funny. We all want to see behind the veil, don’t we? But once we do… we mostly just close our eyes again and pretend what we saw was never really there.
- This is the price she pays for seeing things differently. Because once you gaze into the relentless darkness, all that lurks within it can see you too.
- The worst kind comes without warning, a deep and primal signal from within. A reminder that just because you cannot see the threat, it doesn’t mean that it’s not already here.
- When darkness speaks, it changes everything, turning home into a foreign land and loved ones into strangers. Exile makes sense when you realise that you were never really home in the first place.
- The further she saw into the darkness, the more she struggled to see anything at all.
- Never forget what it is like to see the world as a child, Senua: where every autumn leaf is a work of art; every rolling cloud, a moving picture; every day a new story. We too emerge from this magic, like a wave from the ocean, only to return back to the sea. Do not mourn the waves, the leaves and the clouds. Because even in darkness the wonder and beauty of the world never leaves. It’s always there, just waiting to be seen again.
- I learnt the hard way to not be afraid of death, Senua. Because a life without loss is one without love. Turn your back on death and you only see the shadow that it casts. The longer you hide from it, the longer the shadow grows, until all you can see is darkness. When our time comes, we must look death in the eye and embrace it as a friend. Only then can we let go fear, and emerge from our darkness.
- Hel will not give you the answers you want. But you mustn’t look away from the horror it does offer, because you cannot overcome suffering if you refuse to look at it.
- For every battle won, a greater battle takes its place and so it goes until we fall. And in the end we all fall. Even the gods have their time.
- In blindness there can be wisdom; only by giving, can you receive in return.
- In this waking nightmare where all dreams come true, you searched for control. A way to pull through. When you were in love you left him in tears. To smother your furies and banish your fears. But in darkness they came, through stormy black seas they raided these shores. Do you still hear his screams? And now that you’re home he’s so far away. They’ve taken his soul. To these gods you cannot pray. They can break you, but not your promise. Even death won’t keep you apart. Through this darkness you will find him. In your sword still beats a heart. You fought for love and spoilt by your darkness within. You fought for your dreams, now there is no way to win. In the head of his corpse lies the seat of his soul. So you must carry his vessel to bring him back home.
- This is what happens when you listen to the voices of the underworld. They crawl into your soul and rot you from the inside.
- Only suffering brings salvation. It is the way of the gods.